Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Stocking for Jesus

I just love holiday traditions!  One tradition I have started with my own little family is to have a "Jesus" stocking in our home during the holiday season.  In years past, we have just used a red stocking with our family on it, but this year I am on the look out for a nice, pretty white stocking.  I think that would be much more appropriate.   

Each year, I read my children "The White Stocking" (it's a story that was given to me many, many years ago along with a little white sock ornament) and then tell them to start thinking about things they can write down to give Jesus for Christmas.   Their gifts to Jesus can be random acts of kindness, secret acts of service, goals they want to achieve, ways they can improve themselves, etc.  We then hang up the stocking and leave a notepad and pen next to it.  For the rest of the month, the kids come and write down their 'gifts for Jesus' and then stick them in the stocking.  On Christmas morning, we gather at the top of the stairs and read about Christ's birth in the New Testament.  We then get our Jesus stocking and read all of the many gifts we have given to him over the past few weeks.  It is the sweetest thing to read all of the things my kids have done that I did not even know about.  In my opinion, there is no better way to start off Christmas morning!  I just adore this new tradition that we've had for the past few years.  Plus, you get to feel all warm and fuzzy again whenever you come across all of the old papers from years past.
Pin It
Photobucket

8 comments:

Kimberly T. said...

I LOVE this idea! I'm starting this tradition this year!!

JKclark said...

Very cute! I pinned it!

Anonymous said...

What an incredible idea! I got all misty eyed reading about this. I think it will be a wonderful tradition to start if we ever begin having Christmases at home.

Amy said...

Oh my goodness. I love this idea. My oldest is two so my girls couldn't participate for a few years but I'm going to start this. Now to find a suitable stocking...

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from Sundae scoop. What a great idea. I love that you are sharing Jesus in a way that little ones can relate. Very sweet. :)

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party if you get a chance :)

CJA said...

awesome idea, totally "gonna borrow" it :)
im your new follower, would love a follow back
www.buildinganewhive.blogspot.com

Camille said...

This is such a great tradition! I am definitely doing this! Thank you so much for the great idea! And I love the matching PJ's- my kids totally have those same ones. :) Thanks so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We hope that you will join us tomorrow!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Stacie said...

So, do you change this and do it only for the month of December?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...